In this exercise, one partner attacks the other with a mandritto fendente. The second person defends from each of the guards four corners and then counterattacks. In some guards, multiple defences are possible.
1. Upper Right: (Posta di Donna) Regular parry with a mandritto fendente and counterattack.
2. Upper Left: (Posta di Donna Sinestra) There are two possibilities from this guard:
- A parry with a mandritto fendente. In this case, the defender brings the sword around above the head.
- A collection with a roverso sotani, followed by a thrust from posta di finestra as a counterattack.
3. Lower Right: (Dente del Chingiale) There are two possibilities from this guard:
- Regular parry with an arcing cut into posta frontale and counterattack.
- A collection using a upwards thrust. In this case, the defender first rotates the pommel 100-110 degrees, pointing the sword upwards. Then the defender thrusts into posta frontale and collects the sword on the outer part of the crossguard. The defender then thrusts forwards into posta di finestra.
4. Lower Left: (Porta di Ferro) Regular parry with an arcing cut into posta frontale and counterattack.
III. A Note about Counterattacks:
In general there are several possibilities for the counterattack, although not all of them may be expedient:
- A mandritto roverso.
- A sotani, using the false edge.
- An upper-right or upper-left thrust.